At The Pouting Room, we celebrate all women, and truly believe that every woman is uniquely beautiful—including you! That’s why we love that there’s a day dedicated to women in all their glory.
Read on to learn some facts about the history of International Women’s Day:
- The first National Woman’s Day took place in the United States in 1909, with feminist Charlotte Perkins Gilman addressing the crowd.
- Two years later, the celebration turned international. Austria, Demark, Germany and Switzerland celebrated International Women’s Day in 1911.
- It wasn’t until the 1970s that International Women’s Day became truly global. 1975 was International Women’s Year, and the United Nations began celebrating International Women’s Day on March 8th.
- By 2014, over 100 countries worldwide commemorated International Women’s Day. Millions of people all over the word celebrate each year!
- South Africa also celebrates a National Women’s Day on August 9. This special day commemorates the 20,000 women who marched to protest apartheid laws in 1956. Talk about girl power!
- The next International Women’s Day will take place on March 8, 2019. The 2018 celebration had the theme of #pressforprogress, encouraging women to press ahead to progress gender equality around the world. What women’s causes will you support this year?
International Women’s Day happens each year on March 8, but you can keep the celebration going all year round by booking an empowering boudoir photo shoot at The Pouting Room! Give us a call at 508-603-1163 and get ready to feel confident, beautiful and sexy.